Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Daycare

It's Reid's second day of daycare today, and as of right now we have mixed reviews. We have to get into a routine for the morning, that's for sure.

Today's routine went much better then yesterdays. Reid got to eat breakfast with his dad and even had time for a bit of a bottle before we were out the door at 6:45. When I dropped him off yesterday he couldn't get out of my arms fast enough. I even tried to get there early cause I thought that it would be hard and all that, but he didn't really seem to care. There were a few other early dropped off kids in the room and he just wanted to play and check out the toys. So off he went. When I got there to pick him up, he was standing at the gate (throwing toys over with another little boy, when he should have been in the circle singing songs). As soon as he saw me he just broke down. Big tears, big cries. He was fine when I picked him up and just sat really quiet and cuddly in my arms while I talked to Miss Raga and Miss Mary. He lost it again when we got into the car and for half of the car ride home (thank goodness it's only a five minute ride). Once we finally got into the house and got undressed I gave him a bottle and he was happy for a bit. He just wanted hugs and cuddles. Once Christien got home he was all over him as well. Giving him big tight hugs.

Although this morning started off better, I was still a bit nervous with dropping him off. With how attached he was all night, I was worried that there would be tears. There were none. He wasn't as keen to run and play with the kids when I got there. He sat pretty glued to me the whole time that I was getting him geared up for his day. He smiled lots at the early morning teacher who was there. And she gave him a cracker and he seemed better. Then she distracted him while I left.

I couldn't bring myself to even call today to find out how he was doing. Too scared that he's been having a breakdown of some sort.

He did do well at daycare yesterday though. Apparently he cried and played and cried and played in the morning. Didn't drink a lot or eat a lot, but actually went down for a nap by himself. AMAZING!! Miss Mary said that the lights were out and all his friends were sleeping, so he figured "hey, might as well get a little shut eye too", and he grabbed his blanket and laid down. Now, mind you this was his only nap of the day and he only slept for an hour. As soon as some of the kids started to move around and wake up, he was up at at 'em, apparently stealing blankets from the boy sleeping beside him.

I just hope that he had a good day today and that this whole daycare experience will improve his habits that aren't at their best right now, like eating, and napping and god forbid, sleeping through the night.

1 comment:

  1. Malia, thanks for the update. Sounds like Reid is doing great for such a big change to his world. Take care, Cleo

    ReplyDelete