Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What I'll Miss....

This is my last week working in my current job. Unfortunately, on Monday, I got the news that I didn't get the job that I had applied for a few weeks ago. If everything falls through with his number one pick, then the job's mine. Wicked. Not really what I needed to hear on an already rough start to the week. So knowing that, I am gearing up to prepare for a transition, or a demotion, to shift work. Definitely not an ideal situation, especially when I have a husband who works out of town for two weeks every month and a child in daycare. I'm going to make the best of it, and keep applying for other jobs out there. There are quite a few things that I'm going to miss because of this transition. However, I am trying to keep a pro and con list to keep everything in perspective.

Con - not being able to do lunches with my friends anymore. My hour long lunches are getting moved to 30 minutes, and because it's shift work, I won't always have lunches at noon like the rest of the core.

Pro - I'll be starting out with a bit of a higher wage, with raises every 6 months. That's great considering right now, in the role I'm in, I'm at the top of my pay scale and haven't received a raise in a few years.

Con - Shift work. The call center is only open 7:30 am to 9:00 pm, which isn't horrible. Dropping Reid at daycare will never be an issue, however, if I have to work any later then 5:30 pm or 6:00 pm then I'm not sure what we're going to do.

Pro - With that being said, there is the possibility of trades. When Christien is gone, I can try to make my schedule as close to perfect as I can with the help of the people that I work with. This is a bit of a pro/con because it's just going to be a lot of work, and stressful if I can't find a trade for the day that I need it.

Con - Working in a call center. I did a sit in there a few weeks ago, and it's just feels like a bunch of kids working to get through school. I'm not sure how much I'll like that environment after I've been working among a group of professionals for the last few years.

Pro - The call centers are moving to the 3030 Building on Memorial. I'll be able to drive to work. I'm not a huge fan of working downtown, or of paying $90 a month for a bus pass. Working closer to home means that I won't have to leave as early, and I'll be able to get home quicker. As it stands right now, Reid is one of the first kids to be dropped off at daycare and one of the last to be picked up. It's no wonder he just wants you to hold him until he goes to bed.

The job itself is going to be extremely easy, so I'm not concerned about that. I would just really like to keep my 8:00 - 4:00 security. Maybe Christien can fast track his ticket and start making a million dollars so that I can quit and stay at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment