Friday, September 9, 2011

Greek Dinner with the Aussies


With Christien's aunt and uncle being in town from Australia, and staying with their nephew, Super Dave, we obviously wanted to have them over for dinner. And after the great moussaka at Jasmine's the other night, I was dying to try out a recipe from my Greek cookbook. I kinda went all out on my Greek theme night and was very proud of the results. On Sunday we went to the Farmer's Market and I got a few olives and breads from 2 Greek Gals, then on Monday (which went from Date Night to Date Day - thanks Grandma and Bernie), Christien and I went down to the Greek grocery store. Greek grocery store, you ask?? Yes, I had no idea that Calgary had one either. Not only did I find it on my first try with Google, but all I read were great reviews. Obviously had to go there and get some hard to find items. It's downtown, just off 11th Street. Just a little place on the corner. It was JAMMED packed. You had to walk sideways down most of the aisles. But man, did they ever have some great stuff. To start off, on their cheese menu, the first two cheeses listed, which are very hard to find, were the two that I needed for the moussaka and the saganaki. Perfect. We bobbed around the store a bit. Picked up some baklava for dessert (oh my) and found the honey that Christien fell in love with in Greece. When we were there for our honeymoon we would get breakfast brought to us in our room. It was always about half a dozen (or more) fresh buns/pastries, cheeses, meats, sometimes eggs, juice, coffee, tea and honey. Christien would eat all the honey, every morning, simply spread on a fresh roll (or two or three). Needless to say, he was beyond happy when he found it. Pricey, but worth it. I also sought out our sommalier friend, Mike and inquired where I could get some drinkable Greek wine. Now, Greece has vineyards. They are definitely different from what you are used to in North America, but they have them. The wine in Greece left something to be desired though. Mike made a recommendation and told me that it was actually a pretty nice wine. It turned out that it was definitely drinkable and went really well with our dinner. We also picked up a 6 pack of Mythos (for $15.99 - sheesh) to round out the evening. It was a blast. The food was great, the company was great, but not only that, it was really fun to go and pick up all this stuff with Christien and reminisce about our honeymoon. Six more years and we're going back. I can't wait!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome! I love your greek night! Candice

    ReplyDelete