Friday, November 11, 2011

Prison Break

Well, Reid can now successfully get out of his own crib. No falling out. He can execute the dismount perfectly. I blame gymnastics.

I put him down on Tuesday. Didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. Went to the basement to work out. Franklin was ripping around the house, so at the end of my work out I put him outside and then turned on the monitor - still not hearing anything from his room. On the monitor I could sort of hear him chattering, nothing much, but I kept checking (I can't keep the monitor constantly on cause it just makes me crazy). Then I heard some jingling/rattling. I ran upstairs and opened his door and there he was. Sitting by the wall shaking his piggy bank. His room was trashed. He had opened the top drawer of his dresser, where all his diapers and wipes are kept and just launched them all over the room. He had a big glob of Vaseline on his cheek and had unrolled a whole roll of diaper bags. I was just dumbfounded. Not only at the mess, but how on earth did he get out of his crib. Especially when I heard nothing. I kinda gasped when I walked in and he looked at me and looked around the room and started making funny sounds as if to say "What? Oh my. Look at this mess. Who on earth broke in here and did it?" I kid you not. Then he got right up and helped me clean it up. I eventually put him back in his crib and sat right there to see how he managed to escape. Sure enough he walked to the corner of the crib, pushed himself up, swung one leg over then the other, then slid right down. Are you freaking kidding me?

Needless to say, nap time has been hard these last few days. He hates to nap and over the last few months he's been basically screaming or crying or yelling himself to sleep. He'll usually only go on for about 5 minutes, but it's just been awful. Now that he's managed to figure out how to get out of his crib, that's all that he does. I put him down, he gets up and goes straight to the corner to plot his escape. I spent an hour and 45 minutes sitting outside his door on Wednesday cause he needed a nap and I didn't want him climbing out of his crib hurting himself. So every time I'd hear him get up and close to the rails, I'd just peek my head in and tell him to lay back down. It eventually worked. Yesterday all I had to do was tell him once. That sent him into a screaming frenzy but he did eventually lay down. And it lasted all of 2 minutes. And then he was out. I took a shower after my workout and after I had gotten out of the shower, I heard a crash. Not the sound of a baby falling out of a crib, but a crash. I ran into his room and there he was, behind the rocking chair. He had pulled the lamp off his change table. I guess he just decided it was time to get up and out of bed.

He's OK at night. He's still up between 4 and 5 at which time I usually get him and bring him into bed with me, cause I know that we'll get an extra few hours of sleep if I do it that way. I think when Christien comes home it's time to transition his crib into a big boy bed. Sigh... Just when you think you've got parts of it figured out, those parts are all awash. What a guy.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! What a guy! Christien told me he got out but didn't know it was the escape of the century. Just when you had the sleeping at night straightened out and a new mattress, now you have the nap time to deal with. Malia, you have my sympathy, even though I am laughing as I am saying that. He is just one special kid!
    Oh, I heard him say Mama on the new Youtube video Christien posted. Finally! Love you all, Grandma

    ReplyDelete