Friday, September 11, 2009

Office Closed

Not sure if any of you had the chance to watch the news or read the story in the Calgary Herald yesterday, but it was announced that our offices will be closing come the end of October.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Telus+cuts+call+centre+workers/1982558/story.html

I am, fortunately, one of the very few (I think that there are two of us) who was able to be placed somewhere else in the company. A few agents had a end date of yesterday to vacate the office, whereas the majority of the agents will be leaving at the end of September. The most senior agents will be staying on until the end of October to finish up the closure of the call center. I'm very glad that I was able to be placed so that I will still get my maternity leave in February. However, my heart goes out to all these agents who were simply let go. There is no attempt at all by TELUS to try to place any of these agents. That, unfortunately makes sense, due to the fact that they were term employees, and therefore considered contract employees. However, it's been even harder for these agents to have to deal with the loss of their jobs plus the reports that TELUS is trying to place them somewhere else within the company, when that is not happening at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment