Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spoke Too Soon

Well, yesterday I thought that I would try another outing seeing as going to Chapters was so successful. This one was not a success. He was pretty good getting into the car seat and stroller again. Except he refused to leave the house with a hat on. HATES hats. We got into Superstore, and even managed to walk around a bit and then the melt down started. It would be much easier to take him out of his stroller and carry him around if he had more control of that darn neck. So it was a huge fit, no controlling it, but I really needed diapers so I just stuck with the screaming baby and walking around, and around and around Superstore till he finally fell asleep. Then I made a be-line for the check out and made it out without another melt down. Got him home, and voila happy baby again. Good lord.

I started reading a book called The Baby Whisperer. At first it made me feel like a horrible mum. Like everything I've been doing was wrong and that we're going to have so much trouble once he gets a bit bigger, trying to break all the "accidental parenting" that we've done. But the more I read, the more I understand. I'm trying a few of the tricks out. First nap that I tried this afternoon with techniques from the book did not go well. He went down. For all of 15 minutes. So I, in frustration, got him up, changed him, fed him and played with him again. Then when I started to see the "cues" I went to put him down for another nap, and there you go.. put himself to sleep and he's been down for about an hour an a half. Go figure that we've actually got somewhere to go tonite and I want him to wake up. Not enough to actually wake him up (never wake a sleeping baby, right), but that would be how it goes hey? Sleeping baby when there is something to do, awake baby when we're just hanging out around the house. Although there is always something to do. With his nap this afternoon I cleaned the bathrooms, swept and tidied up. Yay me!!

2 comments:

  1. Can't beleive we haven't talked about that book! I've been doing the EASY thing with Cash since about week 5 and he's in a really good routine with it. Makes it easy to know what he wants and when. He even slept for almost 4 hours straight last night...I was sooo happy.
    You'll have him straightened out in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady, I still get the grocery clerks to pack and carry out my groceries and I don't think there is anything wrong with that! It is hard with a stroller and a baby (especially if they are crying) and your diaper bag etc. Once you get your sling that might help, if he doesn't do well in the stroller just transfer him into the sling and carry on. Books are way helpful too, I read a different book but same idea. Scheduling feeds and sleep times it helpful, every baby is different though and I think they all make it out fine in the end as long as they are loved. I am pretty sure Reid has plenty of that!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete