Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Self Made Long Weekends

Man they are the best. My doctor thinks that I should be off from work already, but I told her that I want to try to make it through to the end of the month (mostly because I have already filled out my maternity leave from work and it's been a nightmare so I couldn't even imagine changing it). So she told me to cut back if I was going to stay till the end of the month. Well, I sit all day, in front of a computer. Not sure how I can take it much easier. So me, being as clever as I am, decided to use some of that vacation time that I have to create myself long weekends for the rest of January. I love it. I've had the last two Monday's off and it's just nice to skip right by "work Monday's" when the train is full, and there is no parking, and everyone is just bummed to be at work. Four day work weeks are the best, and really, that's what everyone should work. I think that it would create a much nicer work/life balance and it would create a happier atmosphere in the workplace. Just my opinion. It's also nice to have that extra day off during the week that nobody else has off, cause there are a lot less crowds in places like Costco and Superstore.

Either way, that extra day makes my body feel better and more rested. Long weekends are good for me and the baby. Speaking of... this little guy (maybe??) is a crazy loon. It doesn't stop moving. Except for at nights. Which is good, cause I'm already not getting a good nights sleep, so I can only imagine what the moving and kicking would add if it were happening in the wee hours of the night. The rest of the day is fair game. All over the place this kid. At my appointment the other day the doctor would get the heartbeat and then before it could register properly on the little thingy, the baby would flip away and she'd have to start all over again. And you can see it moving like crazy too. It's like I have an alien in my belly. She was killing herself laughing cause of the movements this kid was making, and she couldn't get over that you could see it so well. Baby is doing well though. Besides the unusually high heartbeat of 157 (it's okay, cause she could see and feel and hear how much it was moving) everything is right on target. Loads of fluid in there, which I guess is optimal for baby. Measuring right on too. My next appointment will just be for the Strep B and from then on it'll just be getting ready for labour.

Christien is starting to freak out a little bit. It's really starting to hit him that he's going to be a dad. We spent the first 14 weeks just worrying and not really thinking too far into the future with this baby, and then I had energy back and we spent the 2nd trimester just kind of doing what we would normally do. With the exception of getting a nursery ready in the house. But we did it bit by bit, so it wasn't so daunting. Now we're really in the home stretch and I think that he's having crazy heart palpitations. He's super excited, as am I, but really getting freaked out. Nervous maybe? He's going to be a great dad, but I think that it's just the fact that he's going to be a dad. He was pretty freaked out on our wedding day too, while I believe that I remained pretty cool, calm and collected. Now hopefully I will be able to bring that to the birthing of this baby and the commencement of mommy hood.

Pre-natal classes start tonite. So sad that Christien is going to miss the first one, but I've asked my wonderful friend Beatrice (who is a nurse) to step in for him while he's out of town. She's really excited to come as well, cause she's really wanting to make the move to pediatrics and thinks that this will totally help her out. Plus Beatrice and Amber are sharing double duties for Plan B if I happen to go into labour when Christien is still gone. Though they are going to fly him out of camp as soon as possible if that does happen, it'll still take time, and I'm lucky that I've got these gracious friends who have no choice but to help me out. I'm kidding, but it's very nice to know that I'm not going to have to do this alone.

1 comment:

  1. great update malia. this was my fav. love hearing about the baby ( boy) and how everything is going.
    glad to hear B and Amba are your back ups, that is re-assuring.
    Are your parents gone yet?
    what is your due date? is baby head down and ready to go??
    keep up the great updates...
    XXMel

    ReplyDelete